Although yellow was declared Pantone's color of the year back in 2009, it's still going strong both in women's apparel and home fashion. I love it for it's simple straightforward-ness - it says, "I'm here, look at me" in a way that red, blue, green or even orange just can't. It works great as an accent color in shoes, belts and jewelry, and spices up a room the way only a yellow pillow can. And when it's the star of the show, in a dress, sweater, chair or sofa - it demands attention.
Yellow can be a tough color to wear for some people - but there are ways to make yellow (or any "tough color") work for you:
1. Grab a bold yellow accessory - like a yellow belt or bag. Yellow is a great pop off of neutrals, but is also fantastic when it plays off other colors like blue and green.
2. Wear yellow on the bottom, as opposed to close to your face. Yellow shorts or jeans, topped with a chambray shirt, is an ideal summer look. Add python-print sandals and a chunky gold bracelet, and you're good to go!
3. If you want a smaller, more subtle hit of yellow, try some jewelry. A bangle or pendant in bright sunshine-y yellow is a simple way to spark up your outfit.
4. If yellow is tough on your skintone, but you're dying to wear that phenomenal yellow top - put another color close to your face to break it up. Add a scarf and/or jacket, or wear a light blue button-down under that incredible yellow cardigan to put a more friendly color near your face (see my yellow v-neck outfit below).
5. Wear yellow in a stripe, print or colorblock top. There won’t be as much of your "tough color" next to your face, and it will still have impact (especially when paired with white or grey).
And don't forget to use colors that you love in decorating your home. Yellow works the same in your livingroom as it does in your wardrobe - a perfect accent off neutrals (I love yellow and grey!), and an incredible pop off cool colors like navy, cobalt, turquoise or kelly green.
See below for how to use yellow at home, and how I work yellow into my life!
Her yellow (click to shop): 1. Lateral Neon Cardigan by Anthropologie, $78 | 2. The Skinny Jean by Kate Spade Saturday, $110 | 3. Linen Twist Front Dress by J. Crew, $188 (available for pre-order) | 4. Reelymind by Nine West, from Piperlime, $85 | 5. Perfect Patent Skinny Belt by Ann Taylor, $30 | 6. 'Elise' Pendant Necklace by Kendra Scott, from Nordstrom, $52 | 7. Colorblock Leather Envelope Clutch by Gap, $39.95 | 8. Yellow & Grey Link Bracelet by Pim + Larkin, from Piperlime, $24
Home yellow (click to shop): 1. 'BIshops Yellow' Digital Art Canvas by Modern Digital Canvas, $199-$389 (depending on size) | 2. Atomic Yellow Table Lamp by CB2, $129 | 3. Zipper Yellow 20"x13" Pillow by Crate & Barrel, $29.95 | 4. Ashby Leather Chair by Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams, $1745 | 5. Bazaar Wool Dhurrie Rug by West Elm, $59–$899 (depending on size)
My yellow: V-neck sweater, socks by J. Crew. Shorts by Onassis. From our Easter table: Yellow napkins by Crate & Barrel. From our livingroom: Yellow batik pillow, grey/yellow pinstripe chair by Room & Board. Yellow/green digital art canvas by Modern Digital Canvas.