Summertime equals sunshine, beaches, family, friends and fun - and barbecues. And lucky you, you got invited to a barbecue this weekend! But what are you going to wear? If you think a barbecue is all about cutoff shorts and t-shirts, think again. You can maintain your signature style and stay cool at the same time in any number of cute outfits - it just depends on your mood. Want to wear shorts? Grab a fun top and a hit of color. Feel like a dress? Find one that packs a pattern punch. Picking out a pair of pants? Go bold with a print mix! Any way you play it, you can be your sassy self, beat the heat, and enjoy the summer weekends while they last.
But before you head out the door, here are a few sartorial do's and don'ts:
- DON'T wear your white jeans or pristine ivory linen, especially if you're a habitual barbecue sauce stainer (like me!).
- DO grab a fun print, since print and patterns are much more forgiving if you do happen to spill.
- DON'T wear clunky shoes that can get hot, or anything that would be ruined with a splash of pool water.
- DO wear sandals or slip-on shoes, because they slip off as easily as they slip on.
- DON'T wear heavy fabrics that may look cute, but can cause you to swelter if you're outside in the sun all day.
- DO bring a hat, in case the shade isn't easy to find.
- DO grab a layer if the afternoon party could turn into an evening soirée.
Check out our three favorite looks for you to enjoy this weekend - and let us know what you like in the comments!
Weekend style gets cranked up a notch in a striped and embroidered top and blazing red shorts. Keep it easy (but not boring) in a fun pair of neutral flat sandals, and grab your insanely versatile white denim jacket in case the temps turn cool.
A dress is one of the simplest ways to keep it easy and breezy in summertime - and this one doesn't disappoint! A printed dress with attitude says, "I'm here for the party", while a wide brimmed hat and glasses keep the burn away. Top it off with a bold gold cuff, and you're ready for a fun afternoon.
If it's an evening affair, you might want to be a little more covered than shorts - so a pair of wide leg pants is the perfect choice. Stick with a black and white palette, but then add some flair by playing florals off of stripes. And one dose of red never hurts.....