It's summer. You scored an amazing internship. And you’ve just realized that what you wear at school may not work in a corporate environment. To help ensure that you get asked back next year (and maybe even for a post-college gig), get some outfit inspiration from us. Check out these 10 looks that will get you (or anyone) through two weeks in the office in professional summer style. Then check out our short list of do’s and don’ts for what to wear at your office job. And good luck with the rest of the summer!
DO'S & DONT'S
• Do dress like you have the job - not like you're learning and trying to get a job.
• Don't wear anything too tight, too short, or too casual.
• Do be prepared for the chill of air conditioning.
• Don't wear strappy sleeveless tops without a sweater or jacket to cover your shoulders.
• Do express your personal style - but in a completely business-like way.
• Don't wear high heels that you can't maneuver in. Flats or wedges are much more errand-friendly.
• Do wear what's comfortable and appropriate - and then forget about it and focus on the task at hand.
1. Classic office look: a button-down shirt and pencil skirt. Silver sling-back flats add some needed shine.
2. An easy skirt, cami and cardigan take you from work to lunch to wherever. Nude wedges will become your go-to work shoe (if they're not already).
3. Bold graphic sweater + striped skirt = creative work style.
4. A short-sleeve safari jacket adds structure and balances the sweetness of a lace skirt.
5. Seersucker striped pants become office-friendly with a piped navy jacket. And sandal wedges are fine for the office, as long as you can handle the heel height.
6. Classic black and white in modern silhouettes are a no-brainer for work. Striped loafers ensure that you can run around campus and back in a flash.
7. Pair a sleeveless knit dress with a colored cardigan for dressier days. And then wear the same dress to your next summer wedding.
8. A wrap dress is a must for career-wear. It flatters most every silhouette, and is the ideal one-piece dressing.
9. A denim jacket feels fresh in white, and is a great blazer stand-in. With a navy dress and pink flats, it's got a youthful preppy vibe.
10. A shirt dress is another one-piece wonder. A few of these will get you through any tense meeting, or just those 'what do I wear' days in style.