About Urbanite | Suburbanite
I developed Urbanite | Suburbanite both as a style inspiration and a wardrobe styling business. I’ve lived most of my life in the suburbs outside major cities, and my neighbors and friends have often told me that I dress too well for suburbia and should move to the city. That statement astounded me, the idea that urban dwellers are the fashionable ones, and suburban ones are not – it’s simply not true. Anyone can have great style no matter where they live.
The majority of my career has been in retail visual merchandising – including years spent styling windows, displays, and floor sets for Banana Republic, Gap, and Express. I’ve also worked on fashion photo shoot sets, and styled for corporate videos. Within that time, I’ve discovered that even though not everyone is born with the “style” gene, fashion is not rocket science, either.
Too many people simply hate getting dressed in the morning. Whether they don't feel stylish, dislike their body in clothes, or find selecting an outfit a chore, they often opt out rather than develop a personal style that expresses who they are. The mission of Urbanite | Suburbanite is to take the mystery out of looking good and feeling good in your clothes.
Our philosophy is simple - once you have the tools, getting dressed should be easy and enjoyable.
Why the blog?
I created the blog because I love clothes, and I believe that anyone can express great personal style no matter where they are or what they do.
One of the most fun (and occasionally most stressful) parts of my day is deciding what to wear for whatever the day holds, whether it's in the city or at home in the suburbs - client meetings, lunches with friends, or afternoons taking the kids to swimming lessons and the dogs to the park. I think it's worth the extra few minutes in the morning to figure out what to wear that will work for my day, but also make me feel good.
So in the blog you will see what I'm wearing on an ongoing basis - supplemented with an occasional fashion DIY project, my latest obsessions, and some surprises. Enjoy!
- Paul Julch, managing director and lead stylist for Urbanite | Suburbanite.
- Born in New York City, raised in a nearby suburban community.
- Live with my partner, 2 sons, and 2 dogs on the San Francisco Peninsula – and spend a great deal of time in the city for work and fun.
- I love to shop - for me, for the kids, for friends – apparently the thrill of buying pretty things is a rush for me! I’ll really shop for almost anything, but clothes are my preference (next in line is furniture and interiors).
- I have a true passion for personal wardrobe styling. I grew up styling for family and friends, and now regularly work on wardrobe overhauls, helping prepare for that big vacation or business trip, and special occasion dressing.
- My personal style is pretty classic, and I love to layer - but recently I've found joy in the simplicity of a button-down shirt, pants, belt and shoes (and no socks in the summer).
- But I do love my colored socks!
Website and blog photography by E. A. Perotti, unless otherwise credited.
Logo design by Kim Mitchell Stokes, visit her blog here.